Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 6, 2014

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Enders by Lissa Price

Title: Enders
Author: Lissa Price
Format Acquired: eBook
Publication Date: January 7 2014
Publishing House: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
ISBN: 97803857425498
Source of Copy: NetGalley

Summary:

With the Prime Destinations body bank destroyed, Callie no longer has to rent herself out to creepy Enders. But Enders can still get inside her mind and make her do things she doesn't want to do. Like hurt someone she loves. Having the chip removed could save Callie's life - but it could also save Callie's life - but it could also silence the voice in her head that might belong to her father. Callie has flashes of her ex-renter Helena's memories, too ...and the Old Man is back, filling her with fear. Who is real and who is masquerading in a teen body.

(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

This book is a mess. I was never really that big of a fan of Starters but I thought it was okay. Kind of a sketchy ending but yeah, I told myself I'd pick up the next book. And I did. I. Did.

Do I regret it? YES. Enders basically starts off where Starters ended - Callie and Michael and Tyler together; Blake was being controlled by the Old Man, which if you think about it is so freaking creepy. Callie just wants her family to be safe but that's not exactly possible despite the destruction of Prime Destinations because the Old Man is still out there. He's capable of accessing that chip in her brain and Callie's in deep trouble because the Old Man wants that chip and will do whatever it takes to hunt her down.

Callie was a huge problem for me. She's annoying. She's whiny. Get with the program girl, the moment you signed yourself off to Prime Destinations you knew things were going to be very different. What's the point of crying over what you lost? I wasn't overly fond of the way everyone wanted Callie. She's nothing special. Just a girl with a chip which just so happened to malfunction or evolve, really. A whiny, selfish incompetent little girl. Granted that what happened to her chip was interesting but...Callie. Yeah. How is it possible to like a character who says "I don't talk to liars, you lying liar." Couldn't she have come up with something smarter? Such eloquence, Callie.

And can we just talk about Callie's boys? And the romance too, since they are intertwined. I don't get what those boys see in her, I really don't. And the romance was a little too forced. I mean the story would have progressed fine without it and would probably have been better so the focus would be on the actual story instead of Callie whining about Blake and what-ifs.

The story. Here's the thing - Enders is confusing as hell. The so called twists to the plotline had me rolling my eyes. And while there're more action scenes in this book I could have done without them because they were poorly crafted. I still don't get why all the Middles are dead. I mean yes they were killed in the Spore Wars but...how and why exactly? Why target Middles? Well, it was probably used to explain away the absence of the adults which is pretty convenient. Yeah.

If you're looking for dystopian, sci-fi books you're better off looking elsewhere to get your sci-fi fix, like Insignia by S.J. Kincaid perhaps. I'm sorry Enders, one rainbow for you.



Rating:


                         

No comments:

Post a Comment